PPE vending machines in the workplace can increase safety and lower cost. Hear about the many types of machines and the five arguments for installing one.
Personal protective equipment dispensed by machine can be a big benefit for workers. They have quicker access to the safety gear and don’t have to interrupt a manager, increasing efficiency.
A PPE vending machine also better manages inventory. See links to suppliers in the transcript below.
intro music and effects
Dan Clark: Does your workplace go through a lot of personal protective equipment? Do you struggle to keep track of the PPE? The answer could be a PPE vending machine. Details coming up.
Hi, I’m Dan Clark with The Safety Brief. We take on health and safety hazards in today’s demanding industrial and construction worksites, a service of Creative Safety Supply.
Vending machines aren’t just for soda and candy bars. Many vendors are now offering industrial vending machines containing gloves, eye and hearing protection, respirators, and hardhats.
These are not your grandfather’s vending machines. They’re custom-designed for larger items, with key card access and some with Internet connections.
And check out the different kind of models:
• The traditional rotating coil wire but it’s much bigger than a granola bar.
• The carousel, which can hold even more.
• A model with drawers.
• One with lockers for checking items in and out; and
• Special machines designed to dispense larger items that wouldn’t fit in a traditional machine.
WHY VENDING MACHINES FOR PPE? Here are five good reasons:
1. INCREASED EFFICIENCY. Putting supplies right in the workplace where people need them. I remember going up to the business office to buy gloves but they were never around during the second shift or overnight.
2. LOWER COSTS. Machines help businesses crackdown on overuse of supplies such as gloves or eyewear. A quick survey of vendors shows supply usage can be dropped 25 to 60 percent.
3. INCREASE SAFETY. Since many systems actually track the inventory and the employee by key card, it allows managers to see who used the PPE, the first aid supplies and more. Also, by giving employees access to PPE whenever they need it, they don’t have to bother a manager or find a person in charge.
4. REUSE OF PPE. Some machines allow durable PPE to be checked out and returned. This allows better tracking of gear and eliminating lost items.
5. IMPROVE INVENTORY MANAGEMENT. The machines can count! They calculate the items vended and remaining stock. Many models can connect to a supplier via the Internet for automatic restocking.
OK, I’M SOLD. WHERE DO WE GET ONE?
PPE vending machines are available from many vendors including Grainger, Fastenal, Motion Industries, Cribmaster and Auto Crib. Links to these vendors are in the transcript of this podcast at thesafetybrief.com.
Oh, by the way, some vendors will let you buy a machine and stock it yourself. Others will stock it for you for a monthly fee.
That’s all for this episode, 5 Reasons For PPE Vending Machines. Join me again for more ways to stay safety compliant in today’s always-changing landscape of safety requirements. I’m Dan Clark of The Safety Brief, a service of Creative Safety Supply.
Image of key card by Cribmaster © 2015 Stanley Industrial and Automotive, LLC. All rights reserved; Photo of man in hard hat ℗ © 2016 Apex Industrial Technologies, LLC. All rights reserved.